Sunday, December 1, 2019

BOOK REVIEW: Dangerous Christmas Memories

Dangerous Christmas Memories (Love Inspired Suspense) by [Hamaker, Sarah]
It's been some time since I've read one of these Love Inspired Suspense books. A few years ago I was very much into this series--and I usually stuck to reading only the Christmas ones. As a writer myself, I found the pacing and style a perfect crescendo of entertaining fiction. Much like the cozy mysteries I so often read, there was a good genre style and formula going on here. I've never been one for reading a straight romance, but add in some thrills and I'm willing to board the train.

Well, I stopped reading them for a while for one reason or another.

However, this year as I've been shifting gears in my own writing career, I've gotten excited about reading this and other Harlequin books again. I can immediately say that I have not been disappointed.

This is probably one of the best in the series I've read. The writing is taut and intense. Romantic bits and tension are sprinkled in between the thrills at just the right rate. I had been reading the book before bed, but soon quit doing that since the story got my heartrate up with how stressful some of the situations ended up being with a killer hunting the main character. Also, you never get to see who is hunting her until near the end. It reminds me of one of the old Halloween movies, especially the scenes in the hospital.

I only had two small troubles with the book.

The first one is the fact that there just wasn't enough Christmas in the book. I find this is often the case with holiday-themed mysteries and thrillers. Despite having Christmas in the title, you only sort of remember it is Christmastime when the character notes some Christmas lights on a house--which is the extent of the holiday spirit you get here. I would have liked more festive moments and scenes. As it is, it almost feels like Christmas was an afterthought to the story.

Second, the prayers from both the main characters seemed a bit off-putting for me. I may not be Christian myself, but I tend to enjoy Christian media because I know it will be wholesome (when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing). Unfortunately, the prayers seemed a little out of place. I thought the book had a nice wholesome Christian vibe without having to completely stop the action for a moment of prayer.

However, I KNOW Christian readers will enjoy this aspect. So, good on the author for having them there.

Overall, for those who love suspense and thrills without the blood and swearing, this is a great choice for you. However, if you're looking for a Christmassy book, maybe try one of the straight holiday romances instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment